8 Herbs for Skin to Try Now
Use these herbs and spices for glowing, healthy skin!
Herbs and spices are so much more than just a wonderful way to flavor your food. In fact, if you looked at the nutritional content of your average herb or spice, you’ll find it offers a surprising amount of health benefits. For example, did you know that cloves have the highest antioxidant content of any food? How about that chili peppers could promote weight loss? If you want to improve your skin health, here are a few spices and herbs for skin to try now:
- Chamomile – Chamomile is a soothing herb that will reduce inflammation on your skin as well as in your body. It can also soothe a too-close shave and prevent beard burn from causing your skin to become patchy, red, and flaky. The natural anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile makes it an excellent herb to take to soothe skin that is infected, inflamed, or irritated.
- Garlic – To fight off infections like acne, you should eat more garlic. Garlic contains anti-inflammatory properties that will reduce the risk of skin infections. It can also nourish your follicles and promote the growth of thick, rich, and healthy hair. The amino acid cysteine can do wonders to restore hair follicles that are tired or functioning at less-than optimal capacity.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is a spice you definitely want to try for glowing skin! The spice provides a lot of antioxidants, but it can also control blood sugar levels. The antioxidants will fight skin damage and improve the appearance of your skin. Less blood sugar means less stored fat, meaning less chance of cellulite. Drink cinnamon tea or add it into your food for healthier, glowing skin.
- Red Clover – Red clover is an herb that has been used to treat eczema for hundreds of years. Applying red clover tea to your skin can soothe the irritation, soften the scales, and decrease the redness. The tea helps to eliminate the toxins in your bloodstream that are responsible for the inflammation. You can use it as an ointment, drink it as a tea, or apply it directly to your skin.
READ MORE: 6 Herbs for Healing Depression
- Green Tea – Green tea is one of those foods you HAVE to add to your diet, thanks to its high antioxidant content. The antioxidants in the green tea will prevent the sun’s UV radiation from damaging your skin. They’re highly protective and can both reduce damage and speed up skin healing. The nutrients in green tea can even prevent uneven pigmentation and freckles/sun spots. Apply a bit of green tea to your skin before applying sunscreen, and you’ll have much healthier skin after a few hours in the sun.
- Chili peppers – Red hot chili peppers are more than just an epic band! The little peppers contain capsaicin, a compound that can improve circulation and reduce fat storage. Peppers are also rich in Vitamins A and C, which can prevent free radicals from breaking down the collagen in your skin. The capsaicin will act as a shield to reduce UV damage.
- Turmeric – Turmeric can help to reduce inflammation, acts as an antioxidant to prevent free radical damage, and promotes better circulation. It can also starve skin cancer cells, reducing your risk of melanomas.
- Calendula – This herb, when applied to your skin, can help to heal irritations like bug bites, rashes, and skin infections. It can also soothe sunburns and promote healthier skin. Definitely one to try if you want to have beautiful, glowing, and healthy skin once again.