Prep & Cook Time: 30 mins
Use quality dark chocolate here for its superior antioxidant.
• 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup natural brown sugar, packed
• 1/2 cup organic sugar
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 cup white whole wheat flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
• 3/4 to 1 cup dark chocolate chips, 60% cocoa
• 3/4 cup nuts, chopped
• 1 (1.5 to 2 oz) dark chocolate (60% cocoa) bar, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Place oats in a food processor and process until it turns into a powder.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered oats, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4. In a large bowl, cream together butter and both sugars for 3 minutes on medium speed. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually beat in dry ingredients. Stir in grated chocolate, then add chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
5. Roll or scoop dough into 2-inch sized balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.
6. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes 25 cookies. The scooped dough freezes well and bakes up as delicious as fresh. Add 1-2 minutes to bake time for frozen dough.