I mean, could anything be more magical than this?
Strawberries ‘n’ Cream Scones
Recipe/Image Source: From The Little Yellow Kitchen
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ cups diced strawberries (about ¼-inch pieces)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup half n half
- ½ cup almond milk (or regular)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond milk (or regular)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine wheat and white flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in food processor. Pulse about eight times. (Or, combine with whisk.)
- With food processor, remove the cover and sprinkle butter evenly over dry ingredients. Cover and pulse 12 to 15 times. Transfer mixture to large bowl. (If preparing by hand, cut in butter pieces with pastry cutter or knives, until mixture resembles course meal.)
- Make a trough in the middle of the flour, and add the half n half, almond milk and vanilla extract. With a spatula or spoon until dough begins to form, just about 30 seconds. Do not overmix!
- Add the strawberries and fold in until about evenly distributed. This should only take another 30 seconds or less.
- Transfer dough to floured surface and spread out into a circular disk, until about an inch and a half thick. Use a biscuit cutter, or if you don’t have one, find something circular, dip it in flour, and dig in. I use a white wine glass and it works wonders.
- Place rounds on a silpat or an ungreased baking sheet and bake until the tops of the scones are light brown; about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- While they are cooling, prepare the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. If the glaze isn’t drippy enough, place in the microwave for about 10 seconds, then drizzle over the cooled scones.