A Cozy Kitchen’s editor suggests to skip purchasing the $50 pizza stone to get the best crust around, and opt instead for heading to your local hardware store for stone tile to bake an even crust. GENIUS.
Serves 8 as an appetizer
- 12 ounces prepared pizza dough (I used Deb’s recipe for a really simple, fool-proof pizza dough)
- 2-3 lemons, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced paper thin, seeds removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and roll dough out to roughly 12 inches in diameter and very thing – about 1/6-inch thick. Place on a greased sheet pan, or heat a pizza stone in the oven. Cover surface of dough with lemon slices, overlapping them very slightly. Sprinkle with pepper and olive oil. Transfer pizza to hot pizza stone or place the sheet pan in the oven.
- Bake until dough is brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. If the lemons brown too quickly, cover the surface of the dough with foil until dough is cooked through.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let cool. Spread creme fraiche over the surface and dot with caviar (or in my case, smoked salmon). Cut into wedges and serve.