- 2 cups Coca-cola (no diet, people)
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Maraschino cherries (for topping)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Generously spray the inside of the cupcake liners with nonstick cooking spray.
In a small saucepan, heat the Coca-cola, cocoa powder, and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until just beaten, then whisk them into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy–do not overbeat, as it could cause the cake to be tough.
Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake liners/tin and bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a small skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until medium peaks form. Transfer to pastry bag with a 5B star tip. In a circular motion, pipe on whipped cream and top with one cherry.
Recipe/Photo Source: A Cozy Kitchen