Is white wine better than red? Read this post to find out!
White wine is one of those alcohols you just can’t help but love. While red wine tends to be a bit dry or heavy, white wine is usually fragrant, light, and sparkling. You can drink as much as you want without feeling like your tongue is covered in wool, and the alcohol content is usually a bit lower.
While it may not be as healthy as red wine, white wine comes with plenty of health benefits of its own. Here are a few of the health benefits of white wine you need to know about:
- Fight Cancer — Red wine is loaded with antioxidants and flavonoids that have been proven effective at fighting and reducing the spread of cancer. While white wine may not contain the same quantities of these antioxidants, there are enough that white wine can be considered beneficial for your health.
- Provide Antioxidants –– While red wine is loaded with polyphenols and flavonoids, it turns out that white wine may have more antioxidant capacity than red wine. This means that white wine is more effective at dealing with free radicals, meaning it could help to reduce the spread of these disease and cancer-causing particles.
- Boost Heart Health –– White wine doesn’t contain the same quantities of flavonoids and polyphenols as red wine, but there are still enough that white wine is wonderful to help improve heart health. You’ll find that drinking a glass of white wine can help to reduce hypertension and boost cardiac function.
- Slow Cardiac Aging –– Not all white wines have the ability to slow the effects of aging on the human heart, but roughly 1 out of every 3 does. Some will protect the heart, while others will help to combat free radicals.
READ MORE: Wine Jelly Exists!
- Promote Weight Loss — It’s odd to think of white wine as being a weight loss tool, but a study conducted in 2004 discovered that drinking white wine was just as effective for weight loss as drinking juice, but with the additional benefits that come from wine. As long as you don’t get too many calories from white wine, it can help you to lose weight.
- Improve Endothelial Function –– White wine and champagne can both boost the health of the endothelium, the lining inside your blood vessels. By improving endothelial function, you reduce your risk of heart disease–specifically hypertension, heart attacks, strokes, and atherosclerosis.
- Reduce Arterial Blockage –– A study published in late 2014 discovered that white wine is nearly as effective as red wine when it comes to reducing arterial blockage. The hydoxytyrosol and tyrosol in white wine works much the same as the resveratrol in red wine, helping to reduce your risk of cardiac disease. (Note: It is primarily white wines from Europe–specifically Germany, Italy, and France–that contain high levels of these antioxidants.)
- Boost Brain Health — Could a glass of champagne or white wine help to improve brain health? According to a recent study, it could be possible! The study found that drinking three glasses of champagne helps to improve memory, thanks to the phenolic acid contained in white wine and champagne. The study discovered that drinking a glass or three of champagne or white wine every week could help to reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s or dementia past the age of 40.
Well, now you have a few good reasons why you should be drinking more white wine. Time to pop open a bottle, sit back, and enjoy!