The once wildly popular cupcake industry is now going through its very own equivalent of to 2007-2008 economic meltdown. Ok, maybe it’s not that extreme, but the cupcake industry is on the downturn. I know, right? How is that even a possibility? We are talking about cupcakes, after all, but here are 5 reasons why such a tragic waning is happening.
1. Thanks to certain movies and shows (Girls and Bridesmaids, not to name names) cupcakes have acquired a bad rep i.e. a symbol of female loneliness, sadness, and general not-having-your-life-togetherness.
2. A cupcake vending machine was featured on Honey Boo Boo. I’m surprised that didn’t single-handedly end the entire existence of cupcakes.
3. Hurricane Sandy came between businesses and their cupcake-making. Magnolia Bakery claims they have rodents from it – ugh, so disappointing – and Crumbs had to close a few stores – but eh, Crumbs was never that fantastic to begin with.
4. They became too corporate with Magnolias opening up internationally and Crumbs going public. Byeee cute local cupcake brands.
5. People are becoming more and more cognizant of the magic of real cake. It’s having a renaissance, it’s chic again. Cupcakes are so 2010.