Here’s why you need to eat more cucumbers…
Cucumbers aren’t just absolutely delicious, but they’re also supremely nutritious! There are a lot of health benefits of cucumbers you need to know about, so read on to find out a few good reasons for you to add these veggies to your diet:
- Hydration — Did you know that cucumbers are a whopping 96% water? That means a cup of cucumbers is almost as refreshing as a cup of water! Getting more water in your daily life is an important part of being healthy, making cucumbers one of the best veggies you can eat.
- Flush Toxins — Cucumbers are rich in healthy fibers that will scrub the toxins from your digestive system–particularly the stuff clinging to the walls of your intestines. The antioxidants in cucumbers will go a long way towards helping to flush toxins from your body, preventing free radicals from wreaking havoc on your internal systems.
- Reduce Cancer Risk –– Studies have proven that the polyphenols in cucumbers can help to reduce your risk of a number of different types of cancer, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, and uterine cancer. The phytonutrients in the cucumbers can also stop cancer cells from developing and metastasizing.
- Protect Brain –– There is a flavonol in cucumbers known as fisetin, and it has special anti-inflammatory properties that can improve the health of your brain. Fisetin protects your nerve cells from age-related decay, improves your memory, and can even stop learning and memory impairments like Alzheimer’s in their tracks!
- Reduce Inflammation –– If you’ve got problems with inflammation in your body (such as those caused by auto-immune disorders), you need more cucumbers in your life! Cucumbers slow your body’s inflammatory response and reduce unwanted swelling, as they contain nutrients that counteract the inflammatory enzymes.
READ MORE: Cucumber Basil Gin and Tonic
- Improve Oral Health –- Need a quick breath freshener? Munch a cucumber and get rid of any unwanted odors that way! Cucumbers are rich in fiber to help cleanse your mouth and deal with bacteria, and you can improve your breath just by holding a piece of cucumber on the roof of your mouth.
- Provide Antioxidants –– Did you know that cucumbers are loaded with all sorts of awesome antioxidants? You can get quercetin, luteolin, apigenin, and kaempferol, all of which provide a wide range of health benefits!
- Deal with Stress –– Stress getting you down and causing health problems? Have a cucumber! Cucumbers are rich in B Vitamins that will help to reduce anxiety and manage stress. You can even reduce the effects stress has on your body by eating more cucumbers.
- Improve Heart Health –– One of the best things about cucumbers is the fact that they’re loaded with potassium, the nutrient that flushes excess water from your body and helps to balance your blood pressure. Your heart needs more potassium in order to work properly, and cucumbers are a great source of this vital mineral!
- Boost Digestion –– Worried about the health of your intestines or stomach? Eat more cucumbers and boost your digestive health. The fiber in cucumbers will make it easier for you to eliminate waste, and you can even suppress acid reflux by eating cucumbers.
- Promote Weight Management –– If you’re struggling to lose weight, add more cucumbers to your diet. They’re all water and fiber and nutrients, with almost NO calories. They’re great to help you fill up, making it possible for you to eat a whole lot less at every meal!
Leave a Comment