Yum Alert: Homemade Ding DongsBy Ashley • Aug 22nd, 2011 • Category: Dining, Food, FOOD AND TRAVEL, Recipes
We were all guilty of throwing epic tantrums in the middle of the gas station in the of an epically long road trip to get an epically shrink-wrapped (and likely epically dusty) ding-dong in order to calm our nerves. Now, no plastic barriers stand in your way. Enjoy:
Homemade Ding Dongs
Recipe/Image Source: A Cozy Kitchen
- 2 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 cups hot brewed coffee
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300°F. and grease pans. Line bottoms of 2 10-inch round cake pans with wax paper and grease paper. If you don’t have 10-inch cake pans, you can make 2 9-inch cake pans and a dozen cupcakes.
- Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored. Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
- Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
Find out how to get down with A Cozy Kitchen’s recipes for Chocolate Ganache, Seven Minute Frosting and the rest of the Ding Dong Assembly HERE
Ashley is a fun-loving, twenty-something living in Brooklyn. She spends most of her time absorbing all the life, tofu and whiskey that NYC has to offer. Her current obsessions? BDG High-waisted leggings, vintage boot shopping in Williamsburg, Katherine Kwei's sling bag and Melanie Marie's two-finger horn ring.
All posts by Ashley