Warm, delicious and…vegan?By Corinne • Jul 21st, 2010 • Category: Food, FOOD AND TRAVEL
Veganism is becoming an increasingly popular lifestyle. Being a vegetarian myself, I can understand why, but even if you could never give up your love for meat – take one look at these cupcakes and you will salivate.
These, my friends, are completely vegan. Don’t they look simply melt-in-your-mouth delicious?! Try them yourself – we’ve shared with you the recipe, thanks to Culinate!
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1Â¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Â¾ tsp. baking powder
- Â½ tsp. baking soda
- Â¼ tsp. salt (increase salt to Â½ teaspoon if youâ€™re using oil instead of margarine)
- Â½ cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or â…“ cup canola oil
- Â¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Â¼ tsp. almond extract, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
3. If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
4. In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. (Donâ€™t beat past 2 minutes.) Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
5. If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.
6. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.
Corinne is Corinne is an outgoing and spontaneous Bostonian currently living in New York studying Public Relations. She enjoys traveling, fabulous nights out on the town, and loud laughs. She has a weakness for stilettos, anything leopard print, and greyhounds. Her two essentials before leaving her apartment include Diorshow mascara and Escadaâ€™s Moon Sparkle perfume.
All posts by Corinne