Top Editors Weigh In: Best of Fall Beauty
It’s officially brisk enough to whip out the fall beauty faves! Here’s what some of the best beauty editors on the web and print are excited about:
1. Hot rollers. Aly Walansky of ALittleAlytude.com says, “I’m super excited about using my hot rollers again! During the summer, the humidity makes hair such a losing battle — I’m basically always wearing it back, in order to ward off frizz and fuzzies (plus, it’s way too hot and sweaty to have hair everywhere) – as the weather cools, and my blowouts have a longer life span, I can play with fun curls and let my hair out to play. I’m excited to break out my CHI Smart Set soon. I use it for waves and body — basically sexy mermaid hair is my forever life goal.”
READ MORE: Chest Hair Designs
2. A deeper lip. Amber Katz of Rouge18.com is matching her lips to the leaves (and that’s ridiculously chic). “My favorite fall transition makeup item is Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lip Color in Jenna, the perfect orange-red. I’ve searched long It looks super-autumnal on its own paired with a Luscious Jackson-style naked eye or with a retro cat-eye.”
3. Exotic fragrances. Kristin Booker of Fashion.Style.Beauty says, “I am counting the minutes until I can use more exotic fragrances. I’m a child of the 70’s, so the more it smells like a night at Studio 54, the better off I am. My mother’s been a fan of YSL’s Opium since I can remember, but I’ve adopted the fragrances of the master of all things past luxury, Tom Ford. There’s a bottle of Tom Ford Sahara Noir just waiting for the first leaf to fall.”
4. Adding pencils to her case. “My fall favorite is a bold, matte, red lip. This is a look I wear almost all season long and I’m always sad when I transition it out for peachy-pink glosses and balms. My die hard favorite is the Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella from NARS. Pair it with a simple cat eye, volumizing mascara, and killer boots and you are all set to take on all the Fall season has to offer,” says Misti Schendele of Entertainista.com.
5. Richer tones. “The new Stila ‘Mind’ Eyeshadow Palette is all matte and has great year round neutrals mixed with the perfect fall tones from dark eggplant to richer sienna red-orange shades to the classic black grays to transition into the new season,” swoons Lara Eurdolian of PrettyConnected.com.
READ MORE: DIY Tea Bag Nail Repair
Some other cool-weather faves we’re excited about:
6. Beauty sleep. Summer’s late nights give way to an extra hour of sleep when the leaves change, and that means making the most of your beauty rest. Illuminage makes a pillowcase that actually perfects your skin while you sleep, and there’s something about a pillowcase made by a skincare company that sounds perfect– your cheeks are pressed up against your pillows at least 7 hours a night if all goes well, right? This pillowcase’s fibers are embedded with copper oxide, an essential nutrient for skin. Also, the golden-beige color goes with just about everything. Available here.
7. Working oil back in. Oils of every sort are a must for cooler weather, but there’s simply no match for argan oil when it comes to the ability to hydrate so weightlessly. In good news, Suave just launched a line of argan oil-infused body care products that are worth far more than the inexpensive price tags (hint: the formulas are strikingly similar to Moroccanoil’s). The Moroccan Infusion Dry Oil Body Spray smells fab, works long hours (like the rest of us), and won’t leave a greasy mess. Easy peasy to leave in the the shower for a post-steam spritz. Available here.
8. Proper skin exfoliation. Hot, sunny weather is usually not the best for added exfoliation, but September and October are just about perfect for adding exfoliation to your routine. Glytone Body Wash uses the power of glycolic acid to gently slough off the old skin and leave nothing but radiant, fresh skin for the world to see. This + loofah = smoothest skin ever. Available here.
READ MORE: Best Desserts in Paris (slideshow)
9. Sunday night blowouts. Since Sundays are getting chillier from here on out, there’s nothing like setting aside some beauty time, and here’s the perfect formula:
- 1.5 hours spare time
- Keratin Complex Style Therapy Glowtion Potion Styling Oil
Turn TV on, sip latte, dunk biscotti. At commercial breaks blowdry 2 sections of hair at a time till it’s done– make sure you add a styling oil like Glowpotion (just a little goes a long way) before adding heat. It’ll protect each strand, seal the cuticle, and help make that blowout last an extra day or two.