8 Health Benefits of Tequila
The health benefits of tequila are pretty exciting, so grab a lime and read on.
Here are a few of the reasons to raise your shot glass and say “Salud!”:
- No hangover — You may be skeptical, but the truth is that REAL tequila won’t give you a hangover. You may feel hung-over after drinking the watered-down stuff (anything with 51% tequila can be sold as “tequila”), but if you drink the real, 100% pure agave tequila, you won’t have to worry about the morning-after headache!
- It’s gut-friendly — When you drink tequila, you make it easier for your body to absorb calcium–the mineral that keeps your bones healthy and strong. It also regulates the absorption of fat in your intestines, and will feed the beneficial bacteria living in your intestines. Basically, if you want to have a healthy digestive tract, a shot or two of tequila can go a long way.
- It may be diabetes-friendly — Many alcohols negatively impact those with diabetes, as the sugar in alcohol tends to raise blood sugar levels. However, some doctors believe that tequila is better for diabetics than most alcohols. There is far less sugar in tequila than in many other liquors (rum and brandy, among others), so it will have less of an impact on blood sugar.
- It can fight cholesterol –– Tequila helps your body to break down the fat in the food you eat, making it easier for the fat to be absorbed. However, the fat break-down process makes it easier for your body to process and eliminate, and will reduce your overall levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol.
READ MORE: Health Benefits of Whiskey
- It can deal with pain — Drinking tequila has long been the Mexican remedy for aches and pains, and studies have proven that it can be an effective pain reliever. Not only does it help to dilate the blood vessels (leading to better blood flow), but it can help you to deal with tension, strains, and even mild headaches. We’re betting this is one of the less surprising health benefits of tequila to you.
- It serves as a drug-delivery system — This may sound a bit on the nose, but the truth is that tequila will help to deliver drugs–to your body! The acid in your stomach often breaks down drugs before they can reach your intestines, which leads to reduced effectiveness. Tequila basically acts as a vehicle, protecting the drugs until they reach your intestines. This means that a shot of tequila can help treat patients suffering from colitis, Crohn’s disease, IBS, and possibly even colon cancer!
- It may help to prevent colds — Many Mexicans remember their parents mixing up a drink made from lime juice, tequila, and agave nectar as a means of warding off colds when the weather turns chilly. The mixture of Vitamin C and the agave nectar’s nutrients help to ward off colds, relieves sore throats, and reduces bacteria in the intestines.
- It can aid in weight loss — NO alcohol is a weight loss solution, but a shot of tequila may aid in your attempts to lose weight. Tequila helps your body to absorb calcium, which is needed in order to burn fat. The more calcium you have, the more fat you can burn! Definitely a good reason to kick back a shot of tequila!