7 Reasons Why Bananas Are AwesomeBy emilyc • Feb 22nd, 2013 • Category: Adult Health, Family Health, HEALTH, Mom Health
It seems bananas don’t get enough credit. Sure, they’re everyone’s go-to food when they need potassium, but there is so much more to bananas than just potassium. Here are seven reasons why they’re so awesome.
1. The high amount of potassium in bananas keeps your heart and nervous system healthy. Potassium ensures proper muscle contraction – let’s not forget that our heart is a muscle!
2. Bananas are good for your kidneys and bones. Again, potassium is to thank. Normal potassium intakes minimizes calcium excretion, thereby minimizing the risk of kidney stones (which you never, ever want – trust, I’ve had one). Since calcium lost is reduced with potassium consumption, so is the risk of osteoporosis.
3. Bananas are an excellent source of fiber, which is key to a lowering your risk of heart disease and diabetes. One banana contains 16% of the daily recommended value of dietary fiber for a normal adult.
4. They act as mood enhancers or mild sedatives. Bananas contain tryptophan, which produces serotonin and creates a calming effect on the brain. Skip therapy, and eat a banana.
5. Bananas are one of the best sources of naturally available vitamin B6, which means they’re good for your blood, for maintaining a healthy immune system, and for maintaining proper blood sugar levels.
6. Bananas are safe and gentle enough for kids to eat. They are great for helping prevent gastrointestinal upsets.
7. They’re super-affordable and widely available. You can’t even walk down the streets of NYC without seeing a cart of bananas!
emilyc is Emily is a New Yorker trapped in a Floridian's body and loves every minute of her big city life. With a major in international business and years of being surrounded by ill-fitting suits and all the wrong shoes, she learned that the importance of fashion needs to be communicated to the world. To her, fashion is on the same level as charity work and feeding hungry children. Emily can be found frolicking the streets of her gayborhood enjoying the off-color humor of the gays.
All posts by emilyc